Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: October Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Beautiful progress on both of your charts, Debbie! It's nice to see your Home is Where the Magic Is once again. I don't envy you your home renovations one little bit. We had our kitchen ripped out and done over about five years ago, then our upstairs flooring done a couple of years ago, and then all the windows replaced. I'd rather just downsize, which will be our next step - just not sure when. Peter wants to stay, but I don't want to look after that big house. We're in Myrtle beach right now, just finishing our second week here. The one-bedroom condo seems to be working, although if we were here full-time it might not be quite large enough. We would need room to get away from each other sometime!!

Here is my progress on my travel project. Still just background, but it's getting done!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7264.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	9328 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7265.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	9329
    Wendy

Images
    Solid background is always tedious, but you're making good progress. What is the actual design?

I understand what you mean about living in the chaos that is renovation. It seems we've been in upheaval, either inside or out, for the last three years. Started with the removal of the trees around the house and yard, then the backyard re-grading to solve the water problem. Next it was the landscaping. Then we replaced the front picture window, which led to siding and the replacement of the remaining windows, and now the bathroom. We still need to get the roof re-shingled (that's for next summer) and have some work in the kitchen and utility room that needs to be done and the completion of the trim work in various places in the house, which will probably take up the remainder of the time between now and when my husband retires. Oh! And I forgot that they had no more than finished the siding when one of the springs on the garage door snapped. We were lucky neither one of us were in the garage when it happened as it set a fragment of the spring and sheered off bolts rocketing around the garage. We have a full can of paint that has a really impressive dent it in where it got hit by flying debris. It was the original door that was installed in 1953 (in other words, no safety systems, solid wood and no insulation) and we ended up having to replace that, as well. He wanted it all done before he retired and while we still had a full time income. At least we've paid cash for all the work we've done - no financing any - of it so it's not putting us in a financial hole. I won't be sorry when it's done. And as for downsizing, I doubt I'll ever get my husband out of this house. It was his childhood home and he's happy here. There was a time he wanted to move back out west, but his heart problems pretty much curtailed that idea. While he can take altitude for short periods of time, his cardiologist says it's not a good idea on a permanent basis. So it's good he's content here. And this area is where my family is, so I have no complaints either. We're just lucky it's not a huge house. It's only about 1,200 square feet which is a good size for us. And it sits on 2/3 of an acre in town, so we have all city services but our neighbors aren't right on top of us like they were when we lived in Phoenix. We were on an 8th of an acre there. I'll maintain the cleaning service until he retires and then between the two of us we shouldn't have a problem keeping it up.

I made some decent progress on Midnight Moon last weekend, but haven't had the chance to take a picture of it yet. I'm off today and plan to get in some stitching time, so I'll just wait and post a starting picture for the weekend.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Wow, you certainly have had a lot of work done on your house, Debbie! It is a never-ending job to maintain things. I can understand why your husband wants to stay there if it was his childhood home. Lots of memories for him!

Thank you for your comments on my travel project. Here is a link to the full piece. The big draw for me was that there are only seventeen colours.

http://www.artecyshop.com/index.php?...image&pID=4695

I'll be very happy to get back to work on my GK David when we get back home!
    Wendy