Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: April Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Yes, I am definitely going to need to retake those pictures. They are way over exposed. But that is going to have to wait for better light!
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Okay, I think these are a little better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_5144.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	9174 Winter Sky Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_5143.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	920.1 KB 
ID:	9175 Winter Wings Owl
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Oohh Debbie, your Winter Sky is gorgeous! Thanks for the new photo - I can see the shine of the metallic threads beautifully. Wow, it must have been very difficult to take out all of those stitches when everything around it was already stitched. Taking them out would be much worse than the re-stitching. Kudos to you! And ... your owl is coming along beautifully. It is very obvious now that yes, the diagonals are getting shorter and shorter. It looks like it won't be very long before you have a finish!

Thank you for your comments on David, and yes I am happy to be working on him once again!
    Wendy

Images
    I'm trying to control myself. If you look at the picture, three riws below the horizontal blue line that is 25 stitches wide marks the bottom of the last full page of the pattern. I so want to finish that page. But I'm trying not to jump the gun because if I find myself having to check colors, I rely on the diagonal as a counting point. However, I suspect that when I finish the current diagonal, I may not be able to stop myself since there won't be that much of the page left. I will feel so close to finished when I'm working only that last partial page!

As for Winter Sky, pulling that pink section was sheer hell. It just about killed my hands. Needlepoint takes more hand strength than cross stitch does since you're pulling heavy fibers through canvas. It's not so bad when you're putting them in since the fiber starts pristine and I make sure I work with the twist. But when you pull threads out, you're pulling against the twist, plus you're pulling fiber through holes that have several plies of whatever fiber you're working with in the same hole. All of that causes friction and means it takes twice the effort to get them out. If it hadn't been for the fact that what I had missed was the metallic purple that is now in that pink section, I might have left it. If it had been any of the other colors, I probably would have. But putting the metallic purple where it belonged made a major difference in the finished design. I was just lucky that I hadn't anchored threads from the bands on either side in that section. All threads were anchored within their own bands. I've really liked all 4 of these designs. They're relatively easy to stitch even though they look more complicated than they are, and all of them have that touch of sparkle that really makes them appealing. I'll probably start the last one the next time we're traveling because them make such good projects to work on in the car.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Ugh, it sounds like a nightmare to do! Thankfully, as you say, you anchored the stitches in their own band of colours, otherwise it would have been near impossible to do. Just a silly question - could you have used your scissors to cut it from the front and just pull out the stitches? They look long, like it might have worked. But ... I haven't done this type of stitching so don't know what would have been involved.

Will you be in the SAL this week Debbie? Not sure if you noticed, but I started a May thread - I remembered that the month changed this time!
    Wendy

Images
    It would probably have been easier, particularly since the color I was trying to pull was unique, and with canvas you run less risk of cutting the base fabric (one of the reasons I avoid doing this on fabric if I possibly can). The problem with cutting the threads from the front is you leave a lot more fuzz and remnants of the fibers in the canvas which is harder to clean off. And if you don't get them off, they tend to work their way to the front as you re-stitch and the work ends up looking fuzzy. It also makes a real mess and I was doing this in the car so I had no good place to put all of the little pieces of thread. By backing the stitches out, for the most part it came out in full pieces and left virtually no residue. I also pulled 10 - 15 stitches and then cut the length off so I don't have to continue to pull the entire strand of thread through the fabric until it was out. Easier to deal with the detritus in the car that way.

And yes, I'm in for the weekend. I'll post on the May thread.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Ahh, I understand completely now! Thanks for the explanation.
    Wendy