Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: November Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Lovely progress, Debbie! That new branch makes a great border for your next round of stitching, as well as enhance the vibrant colours between the branches.

Wow, Lucette, this is growing quickly! More stars and sky, and even the edge of the building. I'm getting closer to buying the chart! How many pages are in it?

Thankfully, we didn't lose our food. After two nights I opened the freezer quickly to feel some of the meat, and it felt solid. If it had gone another whole day I would have moved it to my sister's freezer. Hah, Debbie, if I was a kid again I would think of it as an adventure too, but now I want my creature comforts! We moved into a hotel for the third night - wimpy, but ahh the heat and lights were heavenly!! I don't think the power is fully restored in the whole province, but should be by tomorrow. And .... there is another rain and wind storm forecast for the weekend. Hopefully the winds change before it reaches us.
    Wendy

Oh dear another storm on the way? Is this normal for the east coast to always have big storms?

You can still see the progress that you made Wendy! Looking really nice! I would recommend this chart, I really love it! It has 42 pages but some of these pages stitch up really fast.

Glad you didn’t lose you’re food! I don’t don’t blame you for the hotel stay, being without for that long can be boring. Makes me wonder how they used to pass the time back in the day? I’m not sure I would like it, I find that I don’t like the silence when we lose power. Like you said Wendy, I like my creature comforts as well!

Images
    Thank you Lucette, and thanks for the info. Yes, we get big storms here, but normally blizzards in the winter. This wind storm was unusual - no precipitation. All day Saturday it was beautiful, although we had a wind warning. There wasn't a hint of even a breeze all day and I thought it must have been a mistake. Then about nine pm it came up from nowhere and was wild for hours - until late afternoon on Sunday. New Brunswick got hit the hardest, but now they think that Nova Scotia will take the brunt of the next one - we'll see.

Do you get much in the way of blizzards in Manitoba?
    Wendy

Images
    Good morning all! Another SAL is upon us, and I'm hoping to get lots done. Peter will be visiting his sister and it will be raining here, so not much else to do except stitch on David. Will anybody be joining in?
    Wendy

Images
    I plan to, but how much I'll get done is a question. We're still trying to get the last of the outside work done to prepare for winter. I've got the majority of my plants out (still have the herbs to clean up), but none of my pots have been cleaned yet so they can be stored for winter. And naturally, they're predicting a high of 35 degrees for Saturday.

I have decided to set Night Cafe aside for a while. I'm still not bored with the design but I need a break from the 25 count fabric. I've got the stuff to do a small Christmas piece for my guest room on 14 count fabric and then I'm going to try something new. I've enrolled in an on-line course from the Royal School of Needlework. I'm taking their introductory course in blackwork. I've always wanted to do this, but their on-line courses are a relatively new thing, and I've never been able to get to one of their sessions in the US. I was going to try their summer school in Louisville, KY this past year (it was close enough to get to easily - the others they hold in Virginia or San Francisco which are a bit too far), but they didn't offer a session in blackwork, which is what I was particularly interested in. So we'll see how it goes. I've got the materials and I'm planning to start next Tuesday after the 21 day stitching challenge has ended and I've posted progress here for this weekend's SAL.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

We do get blizzards but not often and some seasons not at all. We get storms just not big ones, and some years we hardly get snow. We used to get a lot more when I was a kid. We do get the cold every year though! Speaking of snow it’s been snowing on and off for three days, just lightly, but the world has a nice little layer of snow! So pretty! It’s starting to feel like Christmas!

I will be joining in with Cafe Terrace at Night. I hope to finish another page!

Debbie, I had to look up blackwork and it’s very pretty. Have fun taking that course. How long is it?

Images
    It's totally self-paced. In fact, they encourage you to take your time. You can start and stop, go back and re-watch the videos as many times as you need to, etc. There is also a forum board where you can communicate with other students taking the course, a place where you cn make notes of your own as you work the project, and additional resources like detailed diagrams of how to work the stitches. This is a fundamentals course. They start from the assumption that you know nothing about the technique and take it step by step. Things like how to transfer your design template to fabric, teaching you 7 fundamental stitches that are used for design being worked, how to use varying numbers of strands of thread and weights of thread to produce texture and a 3 dimensional feel to the work, how to start and ends threads, etc. In theory, I've done blackwork, but not properly. The technique was originally developed in the 1500s to decorate clothing, and when done properly, the back and the front are identical, making the work fully reversible. When you enroll in the School's on-line courses the cost includes the materials you need to complete the work. I got a 14 x 14 piece of white Belfast linen, 2 skeins of black DMC stranded embroidery cotton, one skein of size 16 DMC coton à broder thread (which is rather like a perle cotton), a spool of size 50 machine thread, a package of size 9 John James embroidery needles, a package of size 26 John James Tapestry needles (I'll probably substitute my size 26 Bohin needles), a water erasable fabric marker and the template for a puffin. The only thing you have to provide is a sharp pair of embroidery scissors and a frame. They recommend a 10" round, wooden ring lap stand. As I didn't have one of those, I purchased it, but it was not expensive at all - about $14. They teach you how to wrap the ring frame so your fabric doesn't slip and stays taut while you work on the project. I'd never even heard of doing that, so I've learned something new already! All of the threads are black, which is traditional, but more modern blackwork is starting to be done with color, as well. The picture is the design we will be working as part of the course. I'm looking forward to it. If this one goes well, they also have one on silk shading that I'm interested in, as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4916.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	810.5 KB 
ID:	8973

Last edited by Debbie Kluge; 11-09-2018 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Tried to re-orient the picture.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Thanks for the info! It sounds like a lot of fun and I love the picture that you will be working on. So cute! I had no idea they embellished their clothes like this back in those days, what creativity! Enjoy your course!

Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello all! Well, the move went well, and I am happily ensconced! As most moves go, it was stressful, and although there is still a box or two about, most of it is done. I even have my internet up and running now, so I'm good! During the evenings, I did a bit of stitching to clear my head! So now I'm ready. I will be joining in this SAL.
    Nirmal

Hello everyone! I am back if you will have me. Life got crazy with camp work and trying to study for my professional designation. While I still have to study I am told I will be home for the next while. My Magic Potion has been patiently waiting for me to get back, but it has started to call my name. I am home alone this weekend so it should be nice and quiet for me to try to get some work done around studying and a couple of craft fairs my friend wants to go to.
    Tamara - Current GK WIP S3743 Making the Magic Potion

“Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.”

Terry Pratchett