Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1226 The Love Letter

1226 The Love Letter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1226_11.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	6708I've finished the first page of the full size version of The Love Letter, and figured it was time to share and start a thread for this, my seventh Golden Kite start. Yes, I know I'm crazy and a bit ridiculous, but it's fun for me to work on different ones at the same time. I do enjoy seeing progress as well, so it's a fine tightrope to walk. I have three more GK patterns not yet started (one was purchased last week!), but I think that might actually be the last of my GK purchases. Ten is a nice round number, right?

Name:	Golden Kite update.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	6709Here is the first page of progress. I started this pattern in 2014 and quickly got bored after only a few stitches because the top corner was full of confetti. I think I also had some other special orders distract me as well, so this got put on the back burner. But while spending most of 2015 working on customer projects, the pattern for this one was sitting near my chair the whole time, taunting me. So, when I finally had time to stitch on personal projects again, I pulled The Love Letter back out. After working through that first 10x10 section, I noticed a fun shape emerging next to it, which turned out to be bright reds - so of course I had to finished that as well. Then, I noticed that the rest of the page was mostly one color with tiny patches of other colors, so I went for it and finished the whole page!

This is being stitched on 25ct white linen with a 2 strand half stitch.

Images
    Sarah what a great start on a gorgeous design! It will be a real beauty and in half cross it should go quicker for you, enjoy
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Images
    What a beautiful start you have made Sarah! And all it took was that little spot of red to keep you going! I'll be interested to see how you like doing the half cross on linen. Have you done this before and will the fabric will keep its shape? I always think of doing it, but I worry.
    Last edited by WendyLee; 04-20-2016 at 06:21 PM.
    Wendy

Images
    Love this project, so many nice colors coming up. One page already done way to go!
    Angela
    GK: Corner Of The Villa
    Other Projects: Cartography I and Spring Montage

Images
    Nice stitches! Have you ever washed a half stitch project? Will it keep its shape? Someone says before wash it is fine,but after it, it becomes a disaster. Is that true? Or only depends on the tightness of hand? Or on different types of half stitch, such as continental stitch, basket weave stitch? Really want to try one my self, but always worry about the outcome,especially after wash.

hope to get some advices.

Thanks, ladies! I stitched my Superman project (do some of you remember that one?) on 32 count linen with a 1 strand half stitch. It did contort a little bit by the time I was done, but after I washed it, while it was still damp, I blocked it out with pins around the entire edge (liberally spaced so they wouldn't pull the fabric) stretching gently to get it back to a proper rectangle, and let it dry that way. It worked pretty well, and then we had it professionally framed and you can't tell it was wonky before. Here's a picture of the finished stitching and the framed piece. You can see especially on the right side of the unframed picture that it slants to the left a bit, but lines up pretty well inside the frame.

Name:	Golden Kite before.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	6715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Golden Kite after.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	6716

Oh, and I stitch using a "regular" half cross stitch. I'm not sure if it has a special name or not. But basically, I just stitch from lower left to upper right, like I would for the first half of a regular cross stitch, when I'm moving to the right. When I head back to the left, I'll stitch from the upper right to the lower left. The back has lots of little vertical stitches when I'm done - very clean and thread efficient. I'm not sure if other types of half cross stitch would pull less, but this way seems easiest and quickest to me, so that's what I do.

Images
    Thank you so much. It's really helpful. I think of stitching something using half stitch, but always feel afraid that it may turn out not very well and all those hours would be wasted. Now you give me more confidence in half stitch.

Blog Entries
    Images
    your superman is a fabulous finish for you Sarah

Fantastic start on you '7th' GK another beautiful project
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    Thanks so much for the photos Sarah - it eases my mind considerably! I know that Lucy does it using Congress Cloth, but that is much heavier than linen. I can't remember seeing your Superman Framed. He looks great!!
    Wendy