Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread buying...What's best?

Images

Thread buying...What's best?

Whoa!
    So I need about 171 DMC floss(s) for my #199 The Marquise de Pompadour I just acquired during this sale and bought as a PDFs , I couldn't resist, I do also have the #1203 Lady and Unicorn coming in the mail( eBay purchase)
    I'm planning to switch between the two on a bi-weekly basis , or at least that was the plan lol! I honestly forgot about all the thread I will need!! Yes I know, I knew, but I didn't ; you know what I mean?

I feel a tad overwhelmed...But super excited about these two giant projects!

( yes I've been a "kit girl" till now and am just realizing what I purchased!)

I've never done any really big ones like these charts! Maybe a 300x500 plus stitch kit size, but they came with threads!
    DMC seems to keep a very strict control of the colors from what I've seen, should I be concerned about dye lot? Should I maybe buy only the colors in the first 10 pages or so and than buy again when I get into other colors? Is it better to just have them all?(Gulp!) Should the two projects have there own boxes of threads? ( doubles of colors? Double boxes? At least these bobbin boxes are cheap!)

How much more do I need if I'm parking a lot of the time, which I believe is going to happen a lot with these ones?

Am I crazy to have two giants on the go instead of 6+ WIP Kits lying around ? Should I just stick with one?

what is the best way to keep these threads? I have 2 bobbin boxes right now, course only 15 of my 81 colors are in this chart! ( I wanted to cry when I counted up how many I need!) I'm terrified of the bigger chart now, at least it's in the mail giving me time to breathe before it lands!

Thank you for any and all help!

Carmen in Kelowna

Blog Entries
    Images
    Lol Carmel welcome to gk you sound as mad as the rest of us actually you live in my favourite country for buying dmc threads - here in the uk they are over 1 per skein in Michaels in Victoria they equate to about 20pence per skein over 5 times cheaper - our son lives in Victoria so we visit quite often and I always stock up whilst there so needless to say I have probably got about 3 sets with the odd ones missing I am doing boys on the shore which Marcus charted for me - I have three sons

I have completed two gk charts over 5 years and am about a third of the way through the third one

I would buy all you need of one colour at the same time as dye lots can differ over the years and it saves heartache if they are different. I use bobbin boxes and have them in numerical order as that is what works for me.

I tried the parking method but wasn't too keen so I tend to do as much of one colour on each page as I can without carrying over too many holes

I also grid my fabric as it makes it easier for me to make less mistakes - theoretically

Hope this helps and I hope you can join in our weekly stitch a longs SAL that Wendy announces every Thursday it is a good way of us all seeing what each ther is up to hugs x
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    Thank you! Merrick!

I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy it all, take an afternoon to bobbinate(my own word!)and set up my needles for the first few sections on my pako needle holder( life saver!) Since I work all weekend and have Tuesday to Thursday off, I'll have to SAL during the week, but I can try those evenings too! I went and joined the Facebook GK page to do my SAL updates( much easier!) I'm not that fluent in forum posting etc, but Facebook is my main place anyways so I'll be posting progress pics there I think��
    I have the giant Q snap frame meant for hand quilting, it sits on the floor, about 3 by 2 feet work space, I'm thinking I will sew a section of stiff fabric to my Aida cloth and than I can have the first few pages very close to me at the bottom, work across page by page than go down again, or are people going in bigger blocks? I like to go ten by ten down page and park along the way with common threads, I NEED to grid I think, or I'll be lost in a hurry I bet�� Gridding might take a week with these big ones but I'll feel better if I want to jump a page down just to see the bunny in Lady and Unicorn for instance �� I'm tempted to start at the first bunny actually lol!

At least I have found the other crazy people! I won't feel so alone when I only get 150 stitches in a day and it looks like I went nowhere! Lol

Carmen

Images
    Hello and welcome, The color lots change a lot sometimes I would buy more and enough for the hole project. Black is very bad at slight color variations.

I don't park just not for me, but I mark my charts and grit the fabric, I don't know how I stitched before that. I keep my thread on bobbins, but everyone does it different it's just what works for you the best.

Looking forward to seeing your work.
    Angela
    GK: Corner Of The Villa
    Other Projects: Cartography I and Spring Montage

Images
    Hi Carmel, I do the same as Chris and Angela so I wont repeat it I will add that I only use Anchor black thread as I am sure it has better coverage than DMC and like you I cant stitch without a Pako or 4. I'm off to sulk in a corner now because your posting your wip pics on FB and I'm not a member and wont be anytime soon so good luck and enjoy your stitching
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Images
    I don't need to repeat anything either Carmen, but it would be lovely if you would start a WIP page here and post your progress even if you aren't able to join in the SAL's. It's easy peasy to do, especially if I have learned how! A number of our Forum members aren't on Facebook and would love to watch it grow.
    Wendy

Images
    I don't buy enough of the same dyelot to do a project, though I know it's recommended. If I had a big section of one colour where a slight change in colour would be noticeable I'd probably make sure I had enough of it before I started. For the most part I think that a slight colour change will add more variation to the picture, so long as there are other colours breaking it up so that you can't see a line where one ends and the other starts. In other words, if I had a little blob of colour A over here and another blob of the same colour over there, if they end up slightly different nobody will really know they were supposed to be the same colour, but if I have two different shades in the same blob it could stand out.

I work from the bottom left up and on my last project I joined the bottom three pages and more or less worked across all three at the same time. When I got halfway up those pages I cut the worked part off the bottom of the pages and joined the next three pages on at the top. There's a gallery section in the forums where people have shown a lot of pictures of their set-up and how they work. If you glance through the SALs here you'll also see how others work and maybe glean some ideas from them. I grid pretty fast these days and I'm really grateful to the person who posted a picture of their gridding because I find it better than other types of gridding.

Don't be afraid to stitch the rabbit first. I stitch all over the place and it works for me - keeps the boredom away and puts something interesting there right away to keep you going when you strike the fiddly/boring bits.

Images
    This is how I grid - there are more stitches to do for it but it's quicker because you don't actually have to count to do them. You have to count in a sense but you can see at a glance where the next stitch will be (three threads along) so you don't have to take time to count the threads as you do the gridding. I did some gridding recently and I think it took me 6 minutes to grid one line (only about 200 sts wide). You only have to grid one way (horizontally OR vertically), not both, because the little upright stitch shows you where the vertical lines are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gridding close up.jpg  

Images
    I promise I will start a WIP page once I get it all together that might be a week or two away but thankyou for all the info!!
    It's so wonderful to be welcomed and learn about you all! I'll be diving into all the WIP pictures now too! Once the holiday is over I'll get all my thread and bobbinate it all! I think I will get the project its own bobbin box since they are so cheap here (4$) my floss is .59 cents each here so it's still about 100+$ for all the thread but it's for a good cause right?
    I think I will start on the Lady and Unicorn first as it is my favorite than when I get discouraged I'll buy for the Marquis and start her up too, should keep my bill abit spread out ��
    Thanks again so much!

Carmen
    Last edited by Firsthays; 03-28-2016 at 08:29 AM.

Images
    Carmen, before you buy separate thread for each project have a look at the thread usage pages that come with the charts. A lot of your colours will need more than one skein on such a large project but you may find a few colours that don't have many stitches in them and you can easily share a skein between two projects - no point buying two skeins if one will do. I have a separate bobbin box for the project I'm working on but if I've got two WIPs I keep both sets of bobbins in the one box (if they fit) and keep the overlapping set of bobbins in the middle so I know they belong to both projects.