Thread: How difficult are these first levels?

How difficult are these first levels?

I'm very new to Cross Stitch, I've started a kit which was for beginners/children. I ran out of floss (maybe the kit, maybe me) and haven't continued not only for the lack of floss, but as the final outcome wouldn't have been that interesting anyway. I'm unsure how difficult a level 1 or a level 2 kit would be. I'm thinking this might be a good starting place: http://www.goldenkite.com/index.php/s2653.html , but I don't know how much more difficult blended colours and level 2 would be: http://www.goldenkite.com/index.php/...d/19997/s/306/ , I'm also tempted by this: http://www.goldenkite.com/index.php/s889.html , but I'd prefer to do the normal rather than the mini version when my talents allow. I'm considering buying in the kit format with Aida & Floss, it's kind of expensive, but I'm thinking that as a beginner this might be the easiest way. Please advise....

Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Nigel and welcome to GK Golden Kite charts are not difficult in that they are explained fully - the higher the level the more detailed they are as you can see between the two you have linked above which I have to say are good ones. Firstly if you do not do a project that interests you then you will more than likely lose interest very quickly no matter how large or small the project is. Obviously out of the two you have linked above level one would be the easiest one for you to have a go at but if you are not interested in the subject then you may not get to the end of it level 2 one will be fiddly and time consuming having blended threads but all blended means is one strand of two colours stitched together. Also I look at my GK charts as lots of little ones all put together - each page is a project - that way the project doesn't feel so daunting. If you come on here whilst stitching whichever one you choose to do you will get lots of help from the members here we are all cross stitch addicts - we are harmless and we love nothing better than helping a newcomer start on their life of cross stitch so whatever questions you have do not be afraid to ask them. No question is too silly to be answered - we all had to start somewhere Good Luck and hope to see your work on here soon xxxx
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    Hi Nigel and welcome to GK! Chris has done a great job explaining the different levels of charts. I agree with her that you have to stitch something that you love, because you will be spending a lot of time with it. I'm glad that you have found this wonderful pastime, and also that you have found us here at GK. You can buy the kit, which can take quite a while to arrive, or you can buy the chart in PDF form and buy your floss and fabric on your own. When you do begin, consider joining in our weekly stitch-alongs (SAL's). They are great motivators, and we can all follow your progress.

On another note, you said that you ran out of floss in the kit that you were stitching. I have only one kit experience (not GK!) and I ran out of floss three or four times and they were not standard colours. Luckily I could telephone the company and they sent me more, and I did finish the project. Sooo, it was not necessarily due to you that the floss ran out. GK kits are all DMC threads, so if perchance you should run out (which I doubt) you can always buy more.
    Wendy

Images
    I'm not sure why this thread hasn't been visible, so I'm just testing it to see if it was just a timing thing.
    Wendy

Thankyou Chris and Wendy, I'm not sure what the tecnical problem is/was, but am glad someone answered, I was getting a little disheartened. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll check out the SALs to see how they work, I kind of assumed they were design specific and that I'd probably be doing a more basic design so wouldn't be able to participate. I still haven't made my decision, but your pointers help. Thanks again.

Images
    I'm glad to see that this thread finally appeared Nigel! No, our SAL's are not design specific. The first and third weekends of the month are for both GK and non-GK projects, and the second and fourth weekends are dedicated to GK projects. Regardless what you are working on, we'd love to have you join in!
    Wendy

Images
    Welcome Nigel! We are always glad to have new people join us and particularly enjoy having people who are new to our addiction of cross-stitch! You have chosen some good choices to start with. Chris and Wendy have given you some good advice. One other point I thought I would suggest is for you to try the free pattern or even just a test section of one of the free patterns. There are apparently now 2 free patterns - the original Sundowner Rose, which I finished and just posted a photo of the framed finish last week or there is a new free pattern here: http://www.goldenkite.com/index.php/free_pattern. This should give you a good feel for how the patterns work. When I did the Sundowner Rose, it was 6 pattern pages, which gave me a good feel for trying blended threads and for seeing how I liked working multiple page patterns. You could download the pattern right away and acquire some threads and fabric locally to get started to see how you like the GK patterns. I find they are real easy to work with though. I am not sure, but they might be a little smaller than the patterns you have mentioned here, but using blended threads.

Please let us know what you decide to do and I hope you join us with the SAL's with whichever pattern you choose to do.
    Leslie

Images
    Hi Nigel and welcome to the group I like the Little Knitter and Car and House and think any of then would be a good choice to start off with.
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure